About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

ABD in Boston

I did indeed pass my exam, so I can enjoy the rest of my stay unimpeded by stress and worry. Yesterday, in fact, was all cooking and all knitting. Meridith and I prepared dinner for some friends, which featured a classic fav: the Barefoot's pesto, peas and pasta dish. We also did lemon chicken, homemade bread sticks and salad, and I whipped up a punch bowl of sangria that miraculously was completely consumed by the end of the evening. For dessert we did make-your-own ice cream sandwiches with homemade strawberry ice cream and double chocolate chip cookies. Here everyone is all smiles just imagining the culinary treat upon which we are about to partake. (This is unfortunately the least blurry picture I got). Clockwise starting from the left we have Mike and Milan, Meridith's roommates, her boyfriend Eban, Meridith, and their friend Matt.
Rambling Rose, my current on-the-needles project, has been coming along nicely, too. The pattern is from Rowan magazine #39. I haven't mentioned it lately because of all the other things going on, but I have been sneaking in time here and there to get the two front pieces done. The fabric really wants to roll, so I think blocking is going to be necessary to even things out. Here you can see the detail of the front left side. I still have to sew the button and buttonhole bands, do the collar and make the roses that are attached separately.
Oh yeah, and the sleeves. Right. I think I am going to attempt to modify the pattern to make the sleeves 3/4 length rather than short. Since the yarn is merino wool it would then become a three-season sweater and I could wear it more often. I also have to find the buttons and ribbon belt. So, although I have a lot done, there is still much left to accomplish before it is wearable.

Through the end of the week I am going to get out and wander the city and enjoy my little vacation before my May-term class starts up again on Monday. I'm thinking of seeing some museums, checking out new shops and cafes, and doing some window shopping in the yarn and book department.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on passing your exam, V! Knew you could do it :-)
It was so great to see you over the weekend--thanks so much for coming to the shower. Looking forward to seeing you again when you are next on the east coast...perhaps I will have a little baby for you to hold?????
love, Am

lomester said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!