About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Wasting time

I was up at 3:00 am this morning making a crust for a chicken pot pie I had hoped to make on Sunday so we could eat it upon coming home this week, but after spending three hours in a cemetary and another three in the kitchen roasting chicken, chopping veggies, and making soup, I just couldn't do anymore that day. And I haven't had time since (which is why I wanted the darn pot pie done in the first place). So last night I woke up at 1:14 and was unable to sleep thinking about all the things I had to get done over the next few days, and of course my mind fixated on all the ridiculous, mostly un-important-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things stuff like a dirty bathroom, unmade chicken pot pie, the fact that Juan had not eaten enough vegetables yet this week and too much chicken (you see the state my mind was in by this point), so I finally stopped tossing and turning, got up, cleaned the bathroom, made the pot pie crust, cleaned the kitchen, and went back to bed, but not before stubbing my toe in my zombie-like wanderings.

Needless to say, the brain power is not on high today. My mood isn't too bad, though, because I've decided to take a personal day tomorrow as a favor to myself and my students (the 8 a.m.-ers have started audibly groaning when I get to class, hoping against hope that just one day I won't show up and they can go back to bed instead of having class). We are in mid-semester, the time when everyone gets sick and run-down and grumpy and the days are getting shorter and the weather colder. I have many things to do tomorrow which are related to school, so I won't be on vacation, but that's ok. I'm happiest when being productive- just not having to do so at 6 a.m.

Tonight my fabulous friend Brian is coming over to watch the season finale of Project Runway chez moi. I had hoped to go all out and do some tapas-style fare, but I've since settled back down to earth and am thinking about microwave popcorn and fresh fruit with balsamic cream. Or, I may go home and crash and wake up 5 minutes before he gets there. Who knows- it's not even noon yet.

One good thing about last night/this morning, is that I have made some resolutions. No more coffee. I am not a daily coffee drinker, but I like to get myself one as a treat every few days or so. But I actually got sick of white chocolate mint mochas, and whittled it down to double espressos. But I suspect that that may have had something to do with my early-morning cleaning/cooking spree (hum, you think?), so no go. Coffee and stress do not mix well in this pot. So, only black and green teas for me for a while. And I HAVE to get back into yoga. The class schedule does not work with mine anymore, so I have not been able to go to class during the week and have lacked the motivation to do it at home on the weekends. But I must start again. Not only are my pants fitting too tightly, but I can feel what little muscle I had wasting away to nothing.

Ok, have a great day! Off to talk about One Hundred Years of Solitude (which is sounding kind of nice right now :)

2 comments:

lomester said...

i kinda want to take your class... great movies, great books, teacher that knows to take off when she is not in teaching mode... PERFECT!

Lovin the tony bourdain book you sent me btw! Thanks again

PRB said...

chicken pot pie crust at 3 am!

As the Beatles said:

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink
I'm so, oh I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink,
I wonder should I get up
And fix myself a pie crust
Oh no, nooooo...

Your culinary exploits inspire me...Keep up the good work.