About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

New Catalogs! Fall Fashion!

The onset of fall also heralds the arrival of fall catalogs- yay! My thick Pottery Barn catalog has already been inkily violated with all the items I could only dream to buy for the non-existent house I don't own. Today I went home for lunch and to let Mobi out awhile, and there were TWO waiting for me by the door. Tonight I will scour the Williams and Sonoma catalog, likewise ravaging that with my trusty red pen. I couldn't resist, however, glancing through the new Anthropologie catalog while I ate my chicken salad sandwich. (Which was delicious by the way. I used my lemon mayo, grilled chicken, fresh basil, craisins, and avocado chunks- yummmm!)

Ok, back to fashion. It's always so fun to check out Anthropologie because the clothes are not the same old boring stuff you see in store after store here in the States. It reminds me of some of my favorite Spanish stores, like Zara, Mango (featuring the fabulous Ms. Milla this fall), Massismo Dutti, and Aldolfo Domingez- more daring cuts, fabric, and styles. It sure does come with a hefy price tag, though. The good side, however, to all this more daring fashion at Anthro and in Spain is that I don't fall in love with everything I see (this is good because I could not afford to get it anyway).

Here, for fun, is my short list of v-approved trends this fall. 1)Grey! This is my favorite color of all time in terms of clothes- especially sweaters. I was so happy that they were part of my uniform in high school- I could buy all variations of grey sweaters and wear a different one each day, while staying in the rules. 2)knits. I practically wore out my knit tee-shirt dress and knit skirt this summer. Knits have come such a looooong way from the 50s- the texture is superb, the fit is flattering, and the comfort level is 100%. (Banana Republic has some great ones right now), and Ella Moss is the queen of deliciously wearable knits. 3)Skinny jeans and cigarette pants. I think I am just sick of the "flare" jean silhouette. nuf said. 4) Speaking of fab silhouettes, I love the 60s-style ones you see with the return to a more fitted bottom (ie capris, jeans, NOT leggings tho) and an A-line top (dress or jacket), usually with a wide or structured neckline/collar. 5) "puffy" sleeves- just little, girly ones. There were so many cute tops in Spain this summer with puffy sleeves I ended up converting. Ok, I get it now.

What I can't understand why it is being revived again is the 80s stuff. All of it. Ugh. Didn't we learn the first time????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very much in love with my 2 knit skirts -a brown and a black--and wear them all of the time lately! My fashion dilemma of the moment is the skinny jeans--I've tried on several pair, yet with my short, slightly bigger-thighed self, they just look kind of goofy. Sigh. Maybe the right brand is out there for me that will look right...
I couldn't agree more re: the horror of the 80s revival. I was in Old Navy the other day to buy some bargain-priced loungewear, and saw jeans with zippers at the ankles and other not-so-welcome blasts from the past. I think these trends are for the teeny boppers that didn't have to experience these fashions as awkward teens the first time around...
Happy fall shopping!
xoxoxo Am

Vanessa said...

Yup- sure sign of us getting old *sigh* we're getting too old to be trendy. But I really think that's a good thing. Style is much more important than trends :) -v