About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Brief Respite

I am done for the semester!!! I have turned in all grades!!! We went camping last weekend, then came back for yesterday and today, and we'll be heading out tomorrow morning for a week-long trip up north, past Duluth, MN, on Lake Superior. Be prepared for some major camping pics when we get back. My home connection doesn't work at the moment, which is why I haven't been able to update more frequently. Now that the semester is over, I should be able to update more often, when I'm not in the middle of the wilderness, that is.

The Secret Pal 8 has begun, so I must leave my info for my secret pal. The rest of you can skip over it, or read it to learn more about me and my knitting habits :)

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I prefer natural fibers- wool, alpaca, cotton, linen, silk, etc.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a little tin on my bookshelf that is just bursting with all my knitting paraphernalia.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting since the summer of 2004. I would say I'm intermediate-advanced since I like to try challenging patterns, but still have not tried colorwork beyond stripes nor can I seem to master the fine art of lace knitting.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Well, I have my wedding registries... (Crate and Barrel, Williams and Sonoma, Pottery Barn) Other than that, none.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I cannot stand vanilla- it gives me a headache. Otherwise, all is good. I have a strong preference for green tea and "water" scents rather than flowers.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love dark chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I sew occasionally and I like doing beaded jewelry.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I really like Tango and Fado music, and I love to find out about new types of music from other countries. I'm pretty open to most kinds of music. I can play MP3s on my computer and Ipod.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? In terms of yarn, I am a "winter," so I tend to go for blues, greens, eggplant purple, black, and grey.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with my fiance and our Boston Terrier, Mobi Ramekins.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I love scarves and wraps as well as hats that keep me warm in winter.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Sweaters

13. What are you knitting right now? I am knitting a cardigan for my mom.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Definitely

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer bamboo/wood circs

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? no

17. How did you learn to knit? My friend Lisa and I took Stitch n' Bitch on a road trip together and figured it out between each other and the book.

18. How old is your oldest UFO? One year. It's a crochet skirt- I've been trying to teach myself how to crochet but I think I have the wrong sized hook for the yarn.

19. What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving because I get to see all my family and eat lots of good food.

20. Is there anything that you collect? I'm working on building my cookbook collection. I love the Barefoot Contessa and don't have any of her books. I also like to find old etiquette books in used book stores.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I subscribe to Rowan magazine and read knitty.com. I would love the Loop-de-loop book and any of the Rowan "Classic" books.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I would love to try fair-isle knitting and I've been trying my darndest to do lace, though I don't seem to have the concentration necessary.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am not a sock knitter, yet, though I keep thinking I should give it a try. I wear a freakishly small size 5 1/2 or 6.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 12/28

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on finishing up your semester--I have less than 2 weeks left myself! CANNOT wait.
Your camping trip sounds fun--where exactly on Superior are you going? Hope you have better weather than we are having here...pouring rain and COLD.
Call me when you get back...have fun!
Am

Anonymous said...

what fun! I knew most of that
stuff already but it was fun to read all the same.
meridith

lomester said...

Hi! I found you on the SP8 list of participants (bored at work) and really like your blog. Are you from Spain?

Casey said...

I found your site from the SP8 list. I was looking to make sure I was on it :) and clicked your link because of the Spanish. I lived in spain for 6 months and I miss it! I watched La Nina de tus Ojos while I was living there and it was hilarious! It was fun to see that you showed it. I didn't really read your entire blog. Just the beginning and the end. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, It's your SP! Just dropping by - checking things out...