About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Home Sweet Home

One of the most important aspects of vacation away from home is being happy to be back. Of course, the fact that Winona had temps in the 70s all week while we were sleeping in the low 30s probably has contributed to this relief. Then again, I woke up this morning in my own bed to a rainy day with highs in the mid-40s. *sigh* It's spring in Minnesota.

Other than the weather, we had a great time and I will include details in the coming days with accompanying photos. It was such a weird feeling to wake up today and have nothing that I HAD to do- I have a couple of projects related to my upcoming trips to Spain and my oral exam for my doctorate this fall, but there was no place I had to be today. I won't lie- it's a nice feeling. I spent the whole morning with my nose in a book- I started The Devil in the White City last night before going to bed, and I have not been able to put it down since. I've already read 150 pages. It's been a while since I've been so engaged in a book.

Below are pics from a lovely dinner we had while in Maine over spring break. I used some recipes from Giada's books, and got to use my new bridal shower gifts, too!

Barefoot wine, a great, very affordable choice for all kinds of meals; toast rounds with fresh parsely and garlic; raw veggies and hummus.

Juan's favorite: shrimp with his special salsa rosa.

The main course, Barefoot Contessa's oriental chicken salad- so, so, so good!

For dessert we had balsamic cream with fresh strawberries and orange wedges with vanilla ice cream.

I wish we had thought to get photos of the people, too, but we were just so excited about the food, I guess we forgot! In attendence were my parents; my aunt Diane and uncle John; my pal Amelia; and Juan and myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to comment on the dessert! The picture does not do it justice. It was very tasty, that picture looks like it was already eaten and redeposited on the plate! I have a much nicer picture in my mind of how it looked that night.
Mama

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous dinner, I'm salivating just looking at it. It really is a nice feeling not to have to do anything. Enjoy it while you can!

Anonymous said...

Oh - that last comment was me, your SP.

lomester said...

The Oriental Chicken Salad looks delliishhh... Tony (my boyfriend) is reading that book too. He is s a slow reader, but as soon as he is done with it, I want to have a go at it.

To answer your questions from your email, I was born in Argentina and moved to VA when I was 9. I have gone back about 5 times, but it just gets way too expensive!

However, my most favorite place in the world is Madrid. I spent a summer there "studying" spanish. I cannot wait to go back.

Paloma

Vanessa said...

I agree- the dessert does not look as good as it was. Whoever's plate it is took way too much ice cream and not enough fruit :)