About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Beer and babies

This is an ad I came across while doing research this summer in turn-of-the-century literary magazines from Buenos Aires. (If you click on it, you can see it better, I think) It's for a Guinness-like beer and the rhyme goes:
¿Por qué puede criar esos mellizos
tan sanos y rollizos?
Pues porque mientras dura su lactancia
toma nuestra cerveza en abundancia.

Roughly translated as:
Why is she able able to raise these twins
to be so healthy and plump?
Well, it's because while she breast feeds
she drinks our beer abundantly.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is hilarious! I have heard the old wives tale about beer increasing your milk supply, but never imagined that it had been used as a marketing technique.

Gaby said...

Es la famosa cerveza malta!! Mamá me dijo que las abuelas la recomendaban para amamantar, pero engordaba un monton!!!
Me encantaron los saquitos y las medias ;)

Anonymous said...

I know I'm not a perfect mother, but that is the craziest ad I've ever seen!! She can raise those twins, because they're half in the bag from getting drunk from mommy's milk!! I bet they are quiet and happy little twins! I can't keep myself from laughing though! Oh how times have changed!

lanas y tramas said...

Muy bueno el recuerdo Vanessa!!! Y cómo tejiste, sos una máquina!!! Te quedaron relindos!!!