About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Last Day in Buenos Aires

Tomorrow we´re taking a plane to Iguazu Falls, in the Northeastern part of Argentina, right next to Brazil. They are the largest waterfalls in the world, and the weather promises to keep being hot and humid (which is fine by me!) I´ve had a great time, but I´m ready to get out of the city and into nature.

The trip has been fantastic so far. We have an amazing group of students who are all ready and willing to step out of their comfort zones and use their Spanish (or learn it if they don´t already know any), talk to people, hop on a bus or the subte (the metro here) and go where ever, eat organs and intestines- these guys are up for anything. And the best part, they are so open and willing to learn and observe, and are very much on the ball. We don´t have to worry about them flaking out on the meeting time or place- they are just a wonderful group. They are a lot of fun and are doing great. They´ve been staying with families for the past few days, and we meet periodically to do cultural things. Today we went to an extremely poor neighborhood with a volunteer organization to throw the May birthdays a party. The kids were so cute and outgoing, and everyone had a lot of fun. It was also a sobering experience to see another part of the city that most porteños don´t even see.

I´ve been able to get a TON done regarding my dissertation research, and I got to meet Gaby and Alejandra, two blog friends who are "divinas," as they say in Spanish. They patiently took me to some out-of-the-way places I wanted to see, and gave me some lovely gifts, and we had a wonderful afternoon tea on the veranda of a gorgeous house that belonged to Victoria Ocampo, one of my writers. I wish I could publish photos of all these great experiences, but perhaps later on in the trip. Mil gracias y fue un placer, chicas. Hasta la próxima, que sea Winona o BsAs. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update. You didn't mention the foot so I hope that means it is mending well.

Love,
Mama

Amelia and Stephen said...

Have a ton of fun! Loving the updates...travel safely!
xoxo
Am

Meridith Emilie said...

Sounds so fantastic, I'm jealous!!! I'm really excited to start traveling myself. Take care of yourself out in the wilds!

Gaby said...

Vanessa, me encant� conocerte! Ojal� se repita la reunion! ;)