About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Scholarly Scarf

As I spend my days tucked away in various libraries around Boston and Cambridge researching for my dissertation, I need a project that keeps my hands as busy as my eyes flying across the page. From the fiber (100% wool) to the colorway (reminicient of a New England autumn day), this scarf is my little way of conjuring up fall's approach. You see, I love heat and really dislike cold weather, but fall has always been my favorite season because of its association with a new school year and hence, new beginnings. And as my time nowadays is spent in scholarly pursuits, I can't help but look forward to the crisp weather that requires woolly sweaters and scarfs. Now, if only we could go from fall to spring...

Actually, I'm not quite ready for summer to be over, as I still have the Spain portion awaiting me. And I can wait a little longer to start teaching again. But I saw this pattern in Ravelry, realized it was perfect for the Manos de Uruguay yarn I've been waiting for years for an excuse to buy and knit, and couldn't resist. The pattern is called "My So-Called Scarf" and is fairly easy, though I have had to undo various rows and reknit them due to reading and knitting simultaneously. I'm using size 13 needles, which are like tree trunks compared to the other needles I've been using all summer. They're cool- they were hand-made in Maine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,
Great scarf! I just went to Christa's yesterday, but didn't pick up anything that fun. Hope your research is going well.
Take care,
Monica

Gaby said...

VAnessa, muy linda la bufanda! Tengo que probar tejerla, ya que una vez lo intenté y no me salía el punto :)

lomester said...

I love that you knit while you read and study. I hate that I did not know how to knit when i was finishing my masters. It would have made the whole process that more enjoyable!