About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Isabella is Done and Other Knitting Feats

Here she is, the project that took me about three weeks longer than expected. Knit in two countries, in four different campgrounds on size 1 needles. Knit with lavender Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn in the smallest size, this is more like a shell than a tank top. I actually wore it today, since I spent most of my time in a freezing cold library. Modifications include making the waist longer than called for and the arm parts thinner than the pattern indicated by about an inch. After several headaches, I have to say, I am happy with the pattern, though without my changes it would have been too short and wide. I love the details of it- the eyelets around the waist; the picot edging on the sleeves and bottom; and the lace neckline.

In keeping with my lace theme this summer, I am knitting my second pair of
socks: Elfine's Socks from My Fashionable Life. I saw them on Ravelry and decided that they would be perfect in my green yarn that was waiting to be used.I have tried a couple of projects with my ivory Siena yarn that I just don't know what to do with. Here are the failed attempts to get this out of my stash and made into something I like and would wear:First up was the Faux Ruffle Tank from Alterknits. It calls for weaving in ribbon or other novelty yarn to made ruffles along the front in a sort of modern tuxedo style. I was going to use this deep turquoise fur yarn I had made a stole from and was really excited about the ivory with the blue and also using these two yarns I didn't know what to do with otherwise. But I got this far and admitted to myself what I had known all along and yet had decided to ignore: In order to get the gauge I had to knit the yarn double, and I did not have enough yarn to complete the tank top.

So I stopped fooling myself and even though I loved the way it was looking, I knew I didn't even come close to having enough yarn, so I ripped it all out, wound it back up (no easy feat with two balls of yarn tangling themselves together as I unraveled and re-wound.) I then attempted to make the lace tank top from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, again having to double the yarn to get the gauge. Thing is, I really don't like this yarn. I don't like knitting with cotton, and this is 100% mercerized cotton. Second, this color does not look good on me. I had bought it originally to make a crocheted heirloom-style fancy skirt. Problem was and is, I don't know how to crochet. I thought I could teach myself like I did with knitting, but it just didn't work out. So, I've had 7 skeins of this yarn for 2 years now and I want to use it up so it's not sitting in my stash. But I don't like it. So, as I'm knitting this tank top, I really don't care about it. I really don't. And it knows it. I am knitting along, half paying attention to the lace pattern that borders its bottom, letting the stitch markers fall off and placing them where ever... And then I realize that it is obvious I don't care about this. Both sides are knit together in the round and the first side looks great. See: You can get an idea of a pattern forming.
Then, I look at the back:There is no rhyme nor reason to this. The numbers aren't even correct. I cannot face it any longer- this is not working.
So, I rolled up the two skeins simultaneously. Again. And right now I can't even bear to look at this yarn. In fact, I went out and bought some yarn I love and have been coveting for years, just to show it that it cannot stop me from knitting fun.
Hah! Take that evil cotton yarn in unflattering color.

Though I still need to make something out of it...

3 comments:

lanas y tramas said...

Qué bien luce tu remera!!!! Muy lindo modelo!!! Y lo que vale es la percha!!! Yo también me estoy agarrando unos dolores de cabeza con un proyecto en lace-knitting del cuál me falta muy poco, pero nunca encuentro el momento ideal (no chicos, no marido, no casa, no perro) para poder terminarlo, necesito mucha concnetración. Es de la revista Interweave Knits, un chaleco sin mangas en color verde. Espero poder terminarla en la próxima semana.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tank!! I love it on you and can't wait to see it in person! The yucky cotton yarn can sit in your stash to give it character!! Take care!

lomester said...

love the top on you, you always look so modelesque!