About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rambling Rose


When I was in Kansas, I got to spend a couple of hours in the Yarn Barn, and of course I did not walk away without some damage to my bank account. I've really been wanting to knit up Rambling Rose, from last Spring's Rowan magazine, and scoured the store for the perfect yarn. The pattern calls for 4-ply cotton, but I really don't like working with cotton. Lucky for me, right below the 4-ply cotton was Rowan's 4-ply soft, which is 100% merino wool. The color is just what I was looking for- something spring-y but that could work for fall, too, and would go with my skin tone and feel great.

I couldn't resist the green sock yarn, even though my sock attempts so far have not been fruitful, I am going to try another pattern and see if I can get myself some handknit socks one of these days. I hear they're divine. I also got some sock yarn for Stephanie, my secret pal9, because I had been wanting to get her some and this was my first opportunity to do so. Hers is the multi-colored yarn. The sheep is a tape measure that I kept hoping I'd get as a gift from someone, because it seems like one of those things you shouldn't buy for yourself. But I was on a roll and decided to go for it. I got a note from Stephanie in the mail today with a fun surprise. She made me a special project bag as a thank-you. Isn't that sweet? Thank you so much Stephanie- it will get lots of use. It's reversible and I just folded the top over so you could see both fabrics. I especially like the purple rainforest fabric.
I started the cardigan last week and this is what I have so far. The bottom portion is 1X1 rib on size 1 needles. When you get to the st stitch, you get to go up to a size 3, which seems positively gigantic in comparison. I actually like working with smaller needles, and at this rate I should have it done by the end of April, which isn't too bad for a sweater.
I have to get back to working on my big paper that is due too soon for what I have done so far. If you don't hear from me for a while, now you know why. To give you an idea of what I'm reading, I'm going to do this little exercise I picked up from Yarnmonster and I think it's supposed to be "today's motto".
BOOKWORM
Instructions:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
Mine has to be an "intellectual" book because I'm writing a literary criticism paper and that's the only kind of book I have around me these days. No fun reading for me. The book is Childhood in the Works of Silvina Ocampo and Alejandra Pizarnik by Fiona J. Mackintosh: "They are often indicative of the disturbing nature of the poetry: the 'nina sonambulada' inhibits worlds close to violently surreal paintings." This refers to Pizarnik, who I love, but my paper is on Ocampo. I am hereby tagging anyone that wants to participate- I'm sure your quotes will be much more interesting and you can actually find a motto in yours. I hope this one doesn't reflect mine, anyway. Sleepwalking children and violent surrealist paintings- hmmm...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you like it! I know that purple gecko fabric isn't for everybody, but I adore it. :-)

And thanks again for the beautiful Koigu -- I can't wait to start socks with it.

Anonymous said...

BOOKWORM
OK, you asked--I am reading "Family Practice Obstetrics:"

"Analyzing subsets of these trials by intervention type demonstrate a significant reduction in the odds of continued smoking in late pregnancy in the intervention group (OR 0.52-0.54, 95% CI 0.42-0.63).
...I think I'll take violent surrealism!!!!

xoxoxo Am