About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Flashy Summer Tank


Here is my finished project from last week. It looks lop-sided, but that's just the way I have it layed out on the bed. It is a tank top I started last summer in Cadiz, Spain, with yarn I had bought in Madrid in May. I had the project 95% done, and ran out of yarn, even though I was using the exact same yarn as the pattern and gauge was good. Even more frustrating, the stores in Cadiz didn't carry the same yarn and by the time I got to Madrid in August, they were closed for summer vacation. When I was in Madrid again this past January, I decided to stop into the yarn shop just to see if maybe they still had it, even though it was very out of season by then. When I first asked the man, explaining what it looked it, he said no. Then he told me, "wait-I'll go check in the back, we may have some after all." And lo and behold, he returned with my yarn! He received a big smile nad many thanks for his help. And my eternal devotion to his store- which is Lanas Sixto, on calle Atocha, 9 right by the Plaza Mayor. They actually have a lot of yarn you can fondle, too, which is not always the norm in Spain. I'm not sure how their English is, but being so close to the Plaza Mayor, they must get lots of people from other countries, so someone probably does speak some, at least.

I just completed this project now because it will still be some time before I can actually wear it with the white pants I envisioned. But I was itching to finish something last week, and this was the closest project to completion.

The yarn is from Katia, a Spanish brand, and the pattern is from their Summer 2006 magazine. It is green with flecks of shiny purples, greens and blues. The straps are i-cord in another Katia yarn in cotton

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's really cute! I love the main yarn -- do you remember the name of it? I have some Katia ribbon yarn in my stash, but it's not at all shiny.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea of the trials you went through with that last summer. I remember the beginning of that project and it gives me a huge smile to see it finished. Well done amiga!