About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mobi, I Think We're in Kansas Now

This morning, after a leisurely breakfast at First Watch, where we had crepes and cashew/blueberry pancakes, we headed down to the levy by the Kansas River. Walking a total of five miles, we were all a little lighter and more refreshed. People who live in a cold climate yearn for spring this time of year. The days are getting longer, so it is supposed that the temperatures will soon be rising, as well. We need this hope- and when it happens, when the temperatures actually do rise, we tend to overcompensate. College campuses suddenly swarm with topless guys playing frisbee and girls in bikinis shivering under the still-cool spring breeze. After months of being accosted by the weather every time we step outside, the tables are turned and now we are the ones who tap into the sun's energy, using every moment outside to the fullest. If you have to be inside while spring is blooming, a sense of urgency tugs at your conscience all day. You should be outside enjoying the day, since it could all abruptly end- the sun may go behind a cloud at any moment, a shower may descend, the sky could grow dark with night... any and all of these possibilities are highly likely during the spring months.
But nevertheless, I am ready, we are all ready, for spring's arrival. The barbed tail end of a mild winter reminded us of why people shudder when we say we live in Minnesota. I'm ready to emerge from hibernation and start being active again. As I was walking today, I could feel myself grow a little taller, my back straightening ever-so-slightly, as if shedding the huddled, defensive posture necessary to brace yourself against below-zero winds. I took in deep breathes of air and unzipped my coat. It felt great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Vinnie--waxing sentimental on our desire for spring. We are getting a wicked cold spell here but are hoping for a break over the weekend. The hardest part is, none of my warm coats fit around my tummy anymore...I've been trying to avoid having to buy an expensive maternity coat, and have been layering like crazy. I'm glad you are enjoying your trip to KS, have fun and drive safely home!
xoxoxo Am