About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Update with recipes and whines

For some reason, I no longer have Internet connection at home, and I have been way too busy in the office to blog. On top of that, I woke up yesterday with such a sharp pain in my back that I hardly have any mobility in my right arm. I don't think it's serious- probably more like tangible effects of missing yoga for about a week, but I makes it hard to do much of anything. (Definitely NOT knitting) It's just a bummer since last week I was feeling all flu-y and now this. *sigh* Ok, whining over.

I am also trying to juggle my classes with working on my dissertation, so have been a hermit lately. Last weekend we went up to the cities to see Garrison Keillor in A Prairie Home Companion, which was incredible. Now we feel that much closer to the Minnesotans in our midst. We both sported me-made handknit sweaters to the show. Here's an action shot from the hotel:
Tomorrow is a Mardi Gras benefit gala for the Women's Resource Center. Dressing up, drinking wine and eating good food, dancing with a live band- I better get my act together and be ready for some fun!

We had some Mexican-themed dishes this week. First, a delicious dip inspired by my cooking whiz pal Amy. First Layer: mix a can of refried beans with salsa and spread into a dish/pan (Keep the wet/dry proportion pretty equal or the whole thing gets soggy) Second Layer: Homemade guacamole. I make mine with 2 avocados, half seeded tomato, half a bunch of cilantro, large garlic clove, juice from a lime, a jalapeno pepper w/ stem and seeds removed, I think that's it. Mix in a food processor to desired chunky/smoothness. Then spread on bean/salsa mixture. Third Layer: Sour Cream Fourth Layer: a mix of shredded cheeses, (I usually just use one of those blends from Kraft or Sargento or whatever). Top with diced green onions and cilantro. Juan likes this best as a light dinner. Especially good for sporting event viewing, if you're into that.

We also had Mexican Lasagna this week. I love this dish and even when we end up having it for three days in a a row, I am still disappointed when it's gone.

Ok, break over and back to work. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG--I made Mexican Lasagna last night for a fun Friday dinner and movie. Yummy :-)
Got your message--will call you this weekend. Love, Am

lomester said...

i hate when you cook and take pics... so unfair when i am starving at work...