About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Rowan Spring/Summer 07 is Here!

The latest issue of Rowan (#41) was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. Quite apropos, considering I've been dreaming of some (any?) white Caribbean beach for the past few days. It was MINUS 14 degrees (yes, Fahrenheit) when we woke up this morning.

This issue follows a very familiar format- the first part displays cute, feminine girly sweaters, suitable for tea time or garden frolicking. Then there's the obligatory "exotic" section (this time taking Morocco and its North-African influence as inspiration), and then the "nautical" story, inspired by early 1950s Nantucket or some other such New England locale. *YAWN* It's the same format as last year's spring/summer issue, for crying out loud. And the editorial page was just as much a snore- the editor seems to be so bored with this magazine that she can't even get up enough energy to motive us to look through it. How much am I paying for this lackluster triteness??

The only two patterns that really got my wheels turning were both in the "exotic" section, though Tulip (above left) was also featured in Garden Party in a different yarn. I love the style of this wrap-around sweater, but I'm not sure about yarn. A solid color yarn would be more versatile, and I'm not that excited about the colors. Though I may like lava- I'd have to see it in person for be sure.

I am positive,however, that I will be making this:
Bonita is gorgeous and totally something I would wear, and I love the color they did it in, especially with the shell (blue of the sea, etc.) and it would look FABulous with white pants or jeans.

There are a couple of other patterns that could grow on me, like Azalea, Lydia, and the cotton placemats and coasters. On both the sweaters I would shorten the length of the ties, though.

Meanwhile, I've got lots of gifts and stash yarn to get through first. And three more months of wool weather,too, unfortunately.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When was the last time you frolicked in a garden no less?

PRB said...

I am feeling much better, and it seems that you're doing quite well...thanks for the health wishes and luck...

PRB said...

OH! and one more thing...It's Mangia! Mangia! Sorry to be such an editor, but it's something i can't really help.

Gaby said...

Hola Vanessa,
llegué a tu blog a través de Ale; que bonitos modelos los de Rowan!
En Bs.As., donde todavía estamos en pleno verano, ya están los negocios repletos de ropa para el próximo invierno!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Where did you see the Rowan Tulip pattern in another yarn? I'm also not sure about the Damask yarn colors and would like to see it in another yarn. Thanks!

Vanessa said...

Hi Jen- Tulip is also in the first section of Rowan- it's acually the same yarn, just a different color.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vanessa - I was confused and thought it was in a previous Rowan book... I don't actually have Book 41 yet but have browsed online and will buy it soon, and I am trying to figure out what yarn to use. Thanks for your reply!