About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Spring is here!

Now that it's April, the buds have appeared on the trees, the birds are singing every morning, the morning maybe cloudy and then the afternoon is full of sun...yup- Spring is here! These tulips were a gift from our dinner guests the other night. We had a wonderful Italian-inspired dinner, with lots of Giada's recipes, like her cheesy rosemary breadsticks, marinated olives, spinach and pine nut pesto, and delicious almond cake for dessert. I also made some roasted cashews based on those served at Union Cafe in New York, which I found in a couple of books, so I figured I had to try them- they were tossed with melted butter, rosemary, sugar, and red papper flakes, and were hard for all of us to resist.
Speaking of cooking... give a warm welcome to our latest addition to the house: my new Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer!! I've been begging Juan for one since I moved to Winona last year, promising better-quality cookies and baked goods. And last weekend, we bought one in honor of my hard work on the qualifying exams. So far, we've used it to make molasses cookies, rolls, brioche loaves, and the almond cake from the other night. I love how you can use it to make dough, and with attachments, ice cream, pasta, juice... all without having more machines in the kitchen.
I am thisclose to finishing my Antoinette sweater. I am actually hoping to have it done by tonight. I have two rows left on the collar, then I have to sew in the sleeves and loose ends, put the button on, and voila!


At first, I had some issues with picking up stiches for the collar, but during our Knit Wits (read: knitting group) meeting the other night, I got some help and am now a pick-up expert. (Well, with knitting anyway ;) So, in honor of my new-found knowledge, here's an up-close shot of the collar attached to the neck opening.

In the coming days, stay tuned for photos from a fabulous family dinner we had over spring break in Maine, a finished Antoinette sweater, and cookbook reviews.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So......Does that mean that my sweater will be next?
You know who this is!

Anonymous said...

So......Does that mean that my sweater will be next?
You know who this is!

7:53 PM

Vanessa said...

Yes, it does.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the KitchenAid--I love mine and do wonder how I got by without it. And they are much more versatile than just cookie making...as you know! Your sweater looks fab :-)
Amy