About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pelicula of the Week


If I haven't been keeping you abreast of the movies we've been watching in the Spanish and Latin American Film Series, it is because they haven't been worthy of recommendation. But tonight we're going to show Hable con ella (Talk to Her), which won an Oscar for Best original screenplay. This was a big deal for Spanish cinema, since foreign movies often only get recognition in the Foreign Film category. The director, Pedro Almodovar, is one of the best there is- anywhere. This movie is a beautiful study on communication and lack thereof, and the fine line between the passions of madness and love. Check out the film's official site if you're interested in more.

I finished a couple of projects last night. First, I finally finished Proust's Swann's Way. In the 460-something pages of the book this is what happens: He recalls his childhood and Swann's visits to his parents; Swann falls in love with Odette; the narrator fall in love with their daughter. That's it. That's the whole book. The language is gorgeous, though I wish I could read it in French- the original. I will probably start volume 2: Within a Budding Grove tonight.

I also finally finished the sleeves of Antoinette and sewed her side seams. Last night while watching an old Almodovar movie (Carne tremula) I finished unraveling the old sweater for the yarn and could get those seemingly-endless sleeves done. Now I have to work on the collar, which looks like it will be a task in itself.

Some other great movies we've watched lately: Broken Flowers with Bill Murry; Woody Allen's classic, Manhattan; and the original Parent Trap, whcih is one of my favorite childhood movies.

No comments: