About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Vacation's over (sort of)

Our overflowing mail awaiting our return

Today was the first day of classes at Winona, but since we don't have to go back until Tuesday, it wasn't so bad. I basically presented the syllabus, did a short activity to get them talking espanol again and we were done. While it does seem a little silly to have to be back for one day with then four days off, it's made a nice transition to the start of another semester.

My vacation was wonderful. I read a couple of great books, saw some good movies and made some delicious food.

THE BOOKS:
Persepolis 2: This is a follow-up to the memoir Persepolis. Both are graphic novels by Marjane Satrapi about growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. This second one follows her as she grows up alone in Vienna and then decides to return home. It amazes me how intimate and personal these books are despite being told in such a spare writing style. I highly recommend both of them.
Julie and Julia This is another memoir by a late-twenty-something woman in New York who decided to make all the recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The first chapter, I was horrified by the writing- it was so blatantly obvious that this was her first book I couldn't focus on the material- there were so many metaphors, one right after the other, that you couldn't even figure out what she was talking about. However, she soon lightened up on the metaphors and I could get through the rest of it. It's a fun book, if not overly enlightening.
Remembrance of Things Past I've never read Proust and figured that I should, being a literature student and all. I'm still working on volume 1 (of 6) and while I am enjoying it for the most part, I'm getting a little tired of Swann and his unhealthy obsession with Odette- she's not worth it, man, why can't you see that!

Knitting projects completed:

I finished my vest before I left for Maine. Yes, that is more tweed yarn (I can't stop!)In the car on the way to Maine, I made a couple of gifts for friends with fun Rowan ribbon twist yarn in red- a cabled scarf and a cute hat with pompons. I wish I had snapped photos of the recipients with their presents, but didn't have a working battery all vacation, so no go. If they send me shots, I'll be sure to post them, though. I liked the yarn so much, I also made myself a fun little poncho that I will post this weekend. In addition, before I left had finally finished a baby blanket for my friends Peter and Martha, who had adorable Nathaniel back in November.

As for movies, I saw a few, but the biggest surprise was Gangs of New York. I had heard few good things about this movie- it was boring, it was too long, it was violent- but for some reason I wanted to see it anyway. And I LOVED it. I was fascinated by the American history that rarely is spoken about these days- it reminded me of an eye-opening article I had read about the building of the subway system in New York and all the unknown people that died in its creation. The most bizarre parts of the movie turned out to be based on historical fact- you have to see the Discovery Channel's show that accompanies it.

And last, but most certainly not least: the cooking :) Having some extra free time and a fully loaded kitchen with lots of space, I couldn't resist. Some of the delicious plates I prepared included: deviled eggs; shrimp, crab and mussel gumbo; Cajun crabcakes; Mexican lasagna (thanks Rachel Ray); lemon-herb chicken with marscapone-almond risotto and glazed carrots. I went to the library and got out all the cookbooks from the young, hot chefs you see on Food Network these days- The naked chef, Tyler Florence, Nigela Lawson and Giada de Laurentiis. I love to read cookbooks- especially before bed. Talk about good dreams!

Tonight the Tequila Club is meeting for margaritas, so I will be appropriately welcoming in the Spring semester.

No comments: