About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Recent Knits: Take 1

I completed a couple of projects this week. First, I finished the Debbie Bliss Biker Jacket from The Tweed Collection. I don't remember the brand of yarn I used, but it is a gorgeous charcoal gray tweed with flecks of orange, maroon, green, white, and blue- here's a detail that gives you a general idea:

And here are some more shots:

Detail of front with zipper


Right sleeve and front


Can't have a jacket without the bike!

Also, I started a new project last night- it is super difficult and like nothing I've ever done before- lace knitting. But I'm tired of just doing knit and purl, so I thought I was up for the challenge. It's Rowan's Butterfly, the camisole version that made the cover of the n. 37 issue:

If you look closely, you'll notice that this not only includes
lace, but also beads, another new knitting skill for me. And here are my beads and the yarn I'll be using- Rowan Kid Silk haze. (Which I received free for renewing my Rowan subscription.)

Now, knowing this would be difficult, I checked out a Butterfly on-line knit-along and read all the trouble people had with it, cutting and pasting pertinent entries into Word and organizing them by topic for easy referral when necessary. I consulted my knitting books on the terms in the pattern and instructions for beading. I spent at least a couple of hours of prep work and felt confident that I would be ready to start. Right. I'm not even sure how many times I re-started, never able to get past the first five rows. So, after nearly four hours of knitting (this does not include the previous two hours of prep work), this is what I came up with:


And, as you’ll surely notice, I will have to rip this out and start over because I obviously did something wrong. So, for now, Butterfly can go back into its cocoon, and perhaps I’ll try again in a couple of days when I’ll be in the car for a long ride to New York- less distractions that way.

Tomorrow I’ll add photos of my other finished sweater this week, and my other project-in-progress that is actually fun to knit.

No comments: