About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Orleans and Back

The days were long and sunny in NOLA, and we enjoyed just walking around and seeing the sights. Since Mardi Gras had only been the week before, the city was still decorated for a party.
Beads were everywhere- under your feet, hanging from trees, lamp posts, and power lines.Many homes and businesses were likewise decorated with the Mardi Gras colors of purple, green, and gold.Here's Juan contemplating the self-decoration possibilities at the French Market.We were disappointed that the farmers' market was still not up and running at this time due to Katrina, but it appears that it will be back very soon.

Juan found a street in the French quarter that used to be named for a town very close to Vigo, where his family lives now. In fact, its where we go sailing with his brother when we're there in the summer.We got a kick at being at the other end of the Mississippi.And were happy just to have some green back in our lives for a few days.On our way back, we stopped in Winona, Mississippi to see what they had going on. I can't say it was much, but it was fun to drive around another small little town on the rail line, if not the Mississippi River.With the long car rides, I got quite a bit of knitting done. My February Lady Sweater now just needs her sleeves completed and some snazzy buttons added.
Figlet's blanket to match his jacket is also on its way to completion. I've got one more side to the cable border and some more embroidered circles to do.After only looking at these two projects for a week, I was anxious to start something new once we were home, so I picked another figlet project- a sweet little pilot cap from the new Mason Dixon Knitting book. Since this picture, I've finished the hat and just need to do the i-cord ties. The wool was my first experience with Koigu yarn, and I'm happy I love it, because I got him some more while in NOLA.We'll miss out little cottage, but the time away was a wonderful change to relax and rejuvenate for the second half of the semester.

2 comments:

Amelia and Stephen said...

looks like you had a great time--yay! I agree, one of my favorite things about going to Belize was to see green grass, trees, flowers--a welcome relief from snow, ice, mud.
I will call you soon, want to see how you are doing.
xoxo
Am

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip. All the knitting is great. The blanket and hat are too sweet. My sweater is creeping along. See you soon.