About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm a rare one

Pregnancy has certainly been a learning experience. I have always been very healthy- heck, I don't have a single cavity for Pete's sake! No major hospital dramas or past health histories. Nothing except less-than-perfect vision and a need for braces due to a destructive thumb-sucking habit. Well, since getting pregnant the learning has certainly increased.

First, I found out I have a weird type of blood that is basically a mutant positive protein- none of the midwives and nurses had any idea what was going on and had to call in a doctor to explain it to them and me. Hence, I'll be getting the Rhogam shot in a couple of weeks because my goofy positive protein acts like a negative blood type.

Now, I've been told that I have gestational diabetes. Despite the fact that I exercise regularly and have a well-balanced, healthy diet. There is nothing I could do to prevent it, which is supposed to make me feel better about pricking my finger four times a day. I can't say it does.

On a more positive note, Juan and I are looking forward to our upcoming vacation. We're following the Mississippi River down to New Orleans, stopping in St. Louis and Memphis along the way. We're staying in a B&B down there, in our own little cottage with a porch and courtyard. I cannot wait for the change in scene and am especially looking forward to the abundance of seafood awaiting us!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, talk about weird. I'm sorry to hear that you got the short end of the pregnancy lottery. I hope that you don't get anymore suprises. I do not recommend pre-term labor!

Amelia and Stephen said...

Ughh, lady--call me if you want to talk GDM...I worked with a lot of ladies with GDM while a grad student at the diabetes center here in town. Don't worry, you will manage fine, the baby will be OK. Hang in there...enjoy your vacation!!!!
love, Am