About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Big Baby News

This is the most recent belly pic taken, from a week ago, so at 19 weeks.Friday was a BIG day, starting with early in the morning when we went to get the anatomy scan (ie ultrasound). Figlet is healthy and everything looked good. They check that the heart has all four chambers, measure the brain and check the fluid levels there (increased fluid could indicate an opening in the spinal cord), measure the femur bones, and check the amnioic fluid levels (which indicate if the baby's kidney's are working properly). All looked good! We even confirmed there were five toes on the little foot we saw. Keep in mind, this is a picture of a glossy picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

So, after doing all the measurements and calculations, we checked to see if figlet would reveal himself- and he did! Although his legs had been curled up when we started the ultrasound, by then, he had stretched them out. The technician said that she was 99% sure that we could start buying boys clothes. (Obviously they can never be 100% until the baby comes out). Here are a couple more shots of pictures. Here you can see his profile- his head is on the right and his body on the left with a little hand resting on it. The black spot in the body is his heart.
He must have known we were watching, because he started moving his arm up and down and opening and closing his mouth, as if he was trying to put his hand in it. Or was just saying "hi."Pretty cool, huh?

To celebrate the big news we went across the street to Target to buy something to commemorate the occasion. We ended up getting a really cute pair of Winnie the Pooh shoes that aren't even necessarily "boy" shoes, though getting the picture from the Target website just now, I see that they are considered boy shoes because the girls' are pink.We also had a lovely surprise- the jogging stroller that we wanted to get was deeply discounted! Obviously, we snatched that up. For those who are interested, we got the Baby Trend jogger because it can fit with the Baby Trend car seat we want to get, so I can start walking as soon as I feel like it after figlet is born. It's black and grey with red accents, so a nice gender-neutral and not too baby-ish palette.

The day just kept getting better. I was to get a prenatal massage for my birthday, and called to schedule that afternoon and she said she could see me in a couple of hours! My back has been really sore from... sitting in the car for two days?...doing yoga after a two-week hiatus?...standing in the kitchen for three hours after said yoga session?... I don't know, but Lisa really made me feel better. It was an awesome massage, and I will be sure to go back in a month or so.

THEN I got a call from Meridith to find out that she and Eben got engaged! Yay! We were very excited to hear their great news, and look forward to hearing how the wedding plans progress. Congratulations to you both!

10 comments:

Amelia and Stephen said...

Yay, yay! you are looking great and it's so wonderful to hear that the baby looks healthy...my only advice is to try to not by toooo many baby clothes before he is born...because you will get a ton as gifts and he may be bigger or smaller than expected. A caveat-this is a do as I say, not as I do type of thing.
Congrats to Meridith!!!!

Mariss said...

You look so adorable, Vanessa! Glad to hear that your little Figlet is healthy and you're doing well too. Enjoy it :) I bet your stepson is excited to be a big brother too :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,
I was just looking at the new baby pictures. Oh, how exciting. A boy! It sounds like your father is going to get his boy. I am glad to hear all went well with your altrasound. It was great to see you, Juan and Julian over Christmas. It was wonderful news hearing about Meridith's and Ebon's engagement. This is an exciting time for our family. Take care of yourself and try not to over do. Love Aunt Diane

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to hear the results too! Snips and snails and puppy dog tails, huh? It's so exciting to have another baby in the family.

Gaby said...

Felicidades VAnessa! Un varoncito!!! Me alegra que todo esté perfecto :)
Ahora, a tejer en celeste :)

te mando un abrazo

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! I love the little foot.

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Wow! He looks just like Juan!
So happy to hear that figlet passed all his health tests. He is going to look great in a Patriots shirt!!!!

Love,

Mama

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the boy!!

Anonymous said...

Hi V,
Congrats! I'm really, really happy for you:D:D:D

-Wenlei

Meridith Emilie said...

You outed me!!!! I'm socked and appalled! Ok, I'm not really.

I'm so excited to be an aunt!!!! BABY BABY BABY!!!!