About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Winding Down and Winding Up

It's the last week of classes! And my finals are all on Monday and Tuesday of next week. So, while I'm winding down on that front, I am busy planning three classes I will be teaching in May-June. These will be more like independent studies, as we're going on the road. In a few weeks I'll be leaving for South America. We're doing a 40-day trip with 11 students, 1 teacher (me), and two guides. Here's our itinerary, more or less:
One week in Buenos Aires, Argentina
A few days each at Iguazu Falls and Salta (where we'll be white water rafting)
A jeep tour and sand boarding in the Atacama desert in Chile
Visiting the salt flats in Uyuni, Bolivia
Hiking around Lake Titicaca
A 5-day hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
A three-day hike through the rainforest
Surfing off the coast of Peru
A few days in Lima before heading home
(These pics are from Jen's trip last year- she's one of our guides.)

Meanwhile, I've been trying to complete another dissertation chapter and get in shape for this adventure. I'm also trying to figure out when Juan and I are actually going to see each other this summer- we both have a lot of things going on on different continents, and our schedules don't seem to coincide much! :( :( :(

4 comments:

dmarks said...

Sounds like fun!

I'm probably one of the few readers who can name all of the South American countries, and place almost all of them (I still get the 3 little northeast ones mixed up sometimes).

I run across so many who call Nicaragua a South American country (and they are shocked to find out that it is in North America, on the rare occasion I choose to correct them)

Amelia and Stephen said...

What an adventure! I'm jealous, of course...let's hope the students stay out of trouble...it will be a blast!

Lisa said...

Have a great time on your trip! See you at Machu Picchu. Didn't I tell you I was flying in? HAHA.

See, Juan should have listened and gone with you! You two could be sharing this adventure together.

Meridith Emilie said...

Jealous! At least my sleeping bag gets to go on the adventure too. Is there any way to roll myself into it....?