About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm one in a 1,000

Knitters, that is. Franklin Habit, of The Panopticon blog has been working on a project to photograph 1,000 knitters. He started it as simply a way to combine two of his favorite loves (photography and knitting, of course). It's looking now like it may end up being a book once completed. After having missed the opportunity several different times to participate, I was happy to see he would be present at the Yarnover event in Minneapolis this past weekend, and quickly signed up myself and my travel companions, Sue and Kate, for a sitting.

I was star struck. Franklin's blog is hilarious, especially with the escapades of Dolores, the sheep that lives with him and wrecks havoc on his yarn and alcohol supply. So, after he got my photo, I had to get one with him. Then the three of us hit the vendor stalls. I have to say, I am very proud of myself and managed to not go overboard nor lose sight of my very low budget I had set for myself. I have so many projects already queued, I didn't need any yarn at all. But I had hoped for a little token souvenir from a local company. Well, I couldn't find anything that fit all my criteria on the local front, but I did get a head start on Christmas. Though that unfortunately means you can't see what I got until, oh, December 25th at the earliest. But it's cool. Really cool.

Here are Sue and Kate checking out these gorgeous baby sweater kits that we all drooled over. And then decided $60 and up was a bit much to spend on someone who would only be able to wear the item for a matter of months.Since we were all so well-behaved, we didn't have to drive around Minneapolis sitting on piles of yarn or fighting over who had to ride the roof. But then we got to Crafty Planet. (You know, since we were in town and all...) And the resolve melted a little. But who can blame us, with such a dearth of funky, good quality fabric purveyors in our area? I bought a needle felting kit which I will post about in a separate entry, and these fabrics: But I'm not telling what they're for, yet.

5 comments:

Meridith Emilie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meridith Emilie said...

I love those fabrics! I am excited to see what you make. I've found a 'new' fabric store and am psyched to go shopping.

Mariss said...

Oooh! What a cool project, and how lucky that you got to be a part of it. I'm quite jealous ;)

The fabrics are gorgeous--can't wait to see what you make. Oh yeah, and I totally have seen those Tulip sweater kits--but the price is out of control.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

How fun! I hope they make it into a book. Let us know if they do so we can buy one :-)