About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

More Vigo

Here I am in my birthday coat from Juan and my "EuroFab" haircut :) Behind me is a view of the outskirts of Vigo, and next to me is a Horreo. They are very typical of the Galician countryside and traditionally their purpose was to hold grain and foodstuffs. The stilts kept them off the ground so rodents couldn´t get to the contents inside.This is some sort of temple (to the gods of argiculture maybe?)or a bird feeder- i forget :) A little later, a cat found its way underneath to get out of the drizzle.
We celebrated New Years Eve at Juan's brother-in-law's mother's house (whew!) in a section of Vigo known as Cabral. It is typical in Spain, especially on the coast, to have seafood for New Years, so I was in heaven. In Spain, there are twelve bell tolls a few seconds apart, one for each month of the year, and you have to eat a grape for each toll. Keep in mind that seedless grapes are not common here, as they do not like genetically modified food, so you have to pop 12 pretty good sized uvas, as they are called, seeds and all, into your mouth in about a minute. I failed to do so, so my luck might be in danger this year, but I'll take my chances with bad luck over choaking to death before the year even starts. First New Year's as a married couple.

1 comment:

lomester said...

Happy New Year!

Did I ever tell you my grandfather was from Vigo?