About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Manly Knitting

Not this past November, but the previous one, I decided to make my dad golf club covers for his birthday. However, the pattern I used, from Hollywood Knits, come out nothing like the picture promised. After a web search didn't pull up anything better, I decided I would make my own, at this point, for Father's Day. I got the shape down in time, but had hoped to embroider the numbers on them. Unfortunately, I had never embroidered anything in my life. With the wedding and being in Spain all summer, I had hoped that I could get the embroidery done by his next birthday this past November. While I didn't meet that goal either, I finally finished them over winter break. Only a year over my original intention. That's a long time for three little golf club covers. (It's not a trick of the camera, they are each a different size to accommodate the various club sizes).
I used navy acrylic wool with green alpaca silk for the numbers. Pattern is my own invention.

Over winter break, he also asked if I could knit him and his friend some fingerless gloves for when they go fly fishing. I found the Cigar pattern in the Knitty.com archive. They knit up quickly, and by the time I had returned from Spain, I had all four almost done.
I used Patton's 100% worsted-weight wool in olive green, a good manly, outdoorsy color. I knit the medium size with size 6 needles (one higher than the pattern called for) since that's what I had, and increased in the fingers to make them a size large. I also saved the two full fingers to finish when I got back so I could do them made-to-measure. Results: they fit like a glove :)
Gloves with fly.

2 comments:

lomester said...

love the manly knitting! and who would have thought cigar gloves were perfect for fishing. You learn something new every day.

Anonymous said...

Van,
Received your second pair and wanted to thank you so much... Tom will appreciate them as much as I, I'm sure, with our temperatures hovering around 0 degrees they should come in pretty "Manly Handy" when we fish the Presumpscot River,(or lighting an ocassional cigar).

I've got the club covers keeping the chill off of the Taylor Mades as well. Looks like your Maine connection toasty here, keep up the good work.

LOVE Ya,
Papa
<*)}}##+<