About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

How I Earned My Outdoors Bead: Part I

The time has come. I am ready to talk about it now. Many of you have probably already heard the story, so you can skip on down to drool over Indian food, or keep reading and have a laugh all over again.

I believe it was day four of our FIG Road Trip 2007 MN-ME. We had been camping at Split Rock Lighthouse and already canoed in Lake Superior. We were paddling road warriors ready for more adventure, no challenge on land nor sea would be too daunting for us. After having traveled for the whole previous day, topping the night off with a sauna and delicious meal, we felt refreshed and ready to explore the gorgeous town of Marquette, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Janet and Gary Graham, our illustrious hosts, suggested a leisurely trip down the Chocolay River, which eventually opens into Lake Superior. The plan was to drift downstream until we reached the lake, have a picnic lunch, and then paddle back upstream before an impending storm reached town. It was a hot, mostly sunny day, with some brisk wind coming from the lake and dark clouds in the distance, promising to arrive by late afternoon.

We put in at the designated launch, bringing along Mobi, my camera, and a packed lunch. I was wearing a cardigan (not handmade) to protect me from the sun and for some reason, Juan was wearing some sort of outerwear that was not really appropriate for the weather. We paddled along the winding river, seeing lots of ducks and geese and marveling at the houses with such a beautiful location to call home. It was quiet and peaceful and we were really enjoying ourselves.

All too quickly, we turned a bend.In the distance, beyond the bridge, the lake appeared. Though slowly at first, as we got closer its vast expanse grew larger until it filled our horizon. Here we were, face to face with the mighty Lake Superior. So big, a drop of water remains in the lake for 191 years. So grand it manifests itself like an ocean, with tides and waves and storms so fierce they have sank 350 ships, including many carriers. This is not a body of water you want to mess with.

The strength of the river's current quickly increased as we approached its mouth. We steered the canoe towards the beach, pulling it onto a deserted stretch of sand. Marveling at the privacy afforded by no road access, we stretched out and had lunch while Mobi tore around, enjoying herself immensely. The wind was blowing quite strongly, so despite the hot sun we were comfortable.After 30 minutes or so, full and happy, we decided to take a walk along the beach before heading back. I took off my cardigan and Juan his jacket, leaving them in the canoe. At the last minute, I grabbed my camera"just in case" and pulled the canoe a little further from the water before setting off down the beach...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

More, more. I've been wondering about this "incident" ever since you first mentioned it. Now that we have a canoe too I need to know!!

lomester said...

YOU TEASE!

Anonymous said...

Don't leave us hanging too long! I'm anxious to hear the ending of this saga!! Since I've seen you and know that you're physically ok, I think my curiousity isn't too morbid!!