About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What I've NOT been knitting

My knitting decreased towards the end of the summer, in spite of the fact that I was traveling quite a bit, which tends to be my most productive time. So, I will display for you my unfinished projects of Summer 2007 and you can decide if my excuses are valid enough to justify such a vacuous knitting month:

This project I WILL actually finish, but since I won't be seeing its recipient for a couple more months, I've had no motivation to get it done right now. I started knitting Julian a sweater in July or so, in his favorite color. The pattern is Sherwood from Knitty.com. I modified it by not including the cabled pattern on the sleeves, because I thought it looked cooler with ribbing only.
Just a sleeve, the collar and some loose ends to go!
More detailed shot of the "tree" cable pattern.

My next unfinished project involves, surprise surprise, that cotton yarn I can't seem to do anything with. I was going to make a really cute racer-back tunic, but the smallest size was coming out way too big, a problem I later learned most knitters had with this pattern. It's called the Prairie Tunic, and is supposed to look like this:Soooo cute, right? *sigh* After traveling to Spain and back in my suitcase without being knit once and looking a bit worse for wear, I'm thinking this is going to be frogged as soon as I can bear to do it. I was really excited about this, but I can already tell it's going to be way too big and I'll never wear it. I'm really starting to think this yarn is cursed.The other pattern I was sure I was going to love, but that soon turned my thoughts dour was to be my second pair of socks. Hundreds of knitters on Ravelry have managed to knit out a decent pair of these socks, but I am really not liking the "Magic loop" technique called for. It leaves an obvious stretched line down the side. I knew they were destined to be frogged when I was at my knitting group, and someone commented on how pretty they were. My response? "I HATE these socks!" Wow- tell us how you feel Vanessa... The worst thing about these socks is that when I finish the first one, I have to make another.

So, after all these false and/or stalled starts, I just stopped knitting for a while. Luckily, I've since regained my senses and I have started a new project- my favorite kind. A sweater for me. I love making things for other people, but there is a lot of stress about how it will come out, will they like it, will it fit/work for them, so, with me, at least I know I'll wear it. It's also been tricky to find knitting time because we no longer have tv, so there's less excuse to knit. Though we do still have Netflix. I'm currently working my way through the second season of Rome, one of the best shows ever made.This blob here is the back of my sweater. It's a raglan decrease and there is some dart shaping at the waist, I just couldn't get it to lay flat for the picture. The next shot is of the sleeve that I'm expanding to make one front half of the Sunrise Circle Cardigan, from Interweave Knits- last fall's issue, I believe. Here's what it's supposed to look like when I'm done with it:

3 comments:

lanas y tramas said...

Epa!!! Cuánta producción Vanessa!!! Estoy de acuerdo con vos en cuanto al magic loop, creo que debe utilizarse una aguja con un cable muy, pero muy largo, y lo suficientemente flexible, (las Addi se adaptan bastante bien para esta técnica) para que no se abra el tejido. El suéter te va a quedar muy lindo, me encanta ese modelo.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, Vanessa, is the sweater felted? It looks like it might be from the magazine photo.

I am so impressed that you are finding time to knit. I can barely drag myself home after a day of teaching and make it to the couch to watch some mindless TV show. I hope classes are going well!

Nicole

lomester said...

Animo! The Sherwood will be done in no time. I love the cami, it's a shame that the yarn does not work for you. Bad Yarn!