About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Zen and the Art of Knitting a Sweater

So, last weekend on the way back from Chicago , I finished the front of Juan's sweater.

Notice anything strange about it? Well, I didn't either until I woke up in the middle of the night a few days later with a VERY scary thought: ...Did I decrease for the armholes?... I was so sure I hadn't but didn't want to face reality that I didn't look until a week later. And as the picture shows, I did not decrease for the armholes. So, like a Zen master who creates a beautiful mandala of colored sand, only to blow or sweep it away as soon as it is done, I frogged a third of the front and started back up, this time decreasing for the armholes, which you see below.

While it can be very frustrating to undo what I worked so hard to finish, I have to admit I only have myself to blame. I get so wrapped up in knitting that I forget that there is often more to do than just knit straight along. I am getting anxious to finish this sweater, though. It is just so much bigger than my usual finished products and I want to start some new things. I only have one more sleeve and the rest of the front to do (again). See first sleeve all ready to go:

On the cooking front, I used my EI once again to cook up some great plates. I made rosemary-infused olive oil that we've been using for dipping bread, and I made the mushroom pesto to top my very own original, first-ever raviolis. The filling was butternut squash, fresh sage leaves and ricotta cheese. It was a perfect combination with the pesto and some yummy parmesan bread sticks, also from EI. There were tons of raviolis left over, so I froze them, and now we can have them whenever we want. They would go great with a spicy tomato sauce, too. Tonight I made a big pot of lentil soup- we've been heavy on the pasta lately, so I thought it was time for some legumes. I even threw a couple of leeks in there, a la Barefoot Contessa- I have to say, what was my life like without leeks??

Ok, enough of the chit-chat. I have some major studying to do. My last big written exam is coming up very soon, so I have to go hit the books.

No comments: