About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Sunflower Chicken

We visited Lawrence, KS at the end of May, and the first meal I had in town was at the Free State Brewery. I got the Sunflower Chicken. It was so good, I had to give it a go at home. Here's what I did.

1. Take two boneless, skinless chicken breasts and marinate them for an hour in buttermilk, sesame oil, and soy sauce. (I used buttermilk because I had extra on hand).
2. Mix 3/4 cup each of barley, brown rice, and wheatberries into 7 cups of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 min to an hour.
3. In a saucepan, mix a cup of sherry with a tablespoon of miso, boil on medium-high until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, then add it to the simmering grains.
4. Once sherry/miso reduction has been added to the simmering grains, chop up your veggies. I went with the following, adding more than the restaurant had.One package of shitaki mushrooms (8oz?); a handful each of chard (with veins and leaves), napa cabbage, and baby bok choy; three carrots, cut match-stick size; snow peapods; 1 red pepper, three cloves of garlic and an inch or so of fresh ginger.
5. With about 15-20 minutes left of the grains cooking, I heated up a couple of tablespoons of canola oil and threw in the carrots. After a minute or so, I added the greens, garlic, and ginger. Another minute or so I added the red pepper, snow peas, and mushrooms. Cook until desired tenderness, then get the veggies out, reserving as much oil as possible.
6. You can add a little more oil if you think it is necessary, heat it up and then add the marinated chicken breats, cut into inch-sized pieces. Brown them and cook through.
7. Mix the veggies, chicken, and grains all together, adding in 1/4 cup or so of roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds.
Enjoy! I served my sunflower chicken with homemade rhubarb lemonade, but a nice wheat beer is good, too.

No comments: