About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

You are witnessing the start of an obession

As I mentioned in my last post, I haven't done a lot of baby knitting for the figlet yet because it's xmas season and all that. And I have yet to post my fall knitting that aren't surprise gifts, but I do have something else to show today. It's my newest obsession. I've recently gotten into applique. I think I was inspired by adorable onesies for sale on Etsy, and thought, "I could so do that myself."

I have lots of cute ideas for adorable gender-neutral designs and so I can be busy creating all winter break! Here's the first one ever using some scrap yarn I had laying around. I sketched out an idea of what I wanted to do to get a visual, then made little templates for each shape from index cards, since I'm not working with a lot of fabric here. After cutting out the shapes in fabric with the templates and attaching them via fuseable interfacing to a onesie, I used a zig-zag stitch on my machine in a coordinating color to secure the pieces and to add some fun visual interest. I then added more detail, texture, and color by embroidering in leaf veins and the stem.

The whole thing took an evening and was so much fun to create. I can't wait to do more! The lighting is awful, but these days I'm not home much during daylight hours, so this is the best I could do for now.A pea pod for a sweet pea. :)

4 comments:

Elizabeth Olate said...

congratulations, Vanessa! I'm so happy for you!!:)

Amelia and Stephen said...

hmmmm! freakin' adorable. you could go into business...
Graham wears size 24 mos these days ;-)

Kate said...

I love it! The embroidery add so much. Very nice.

Unknown said...

That is super cute!!! You are so crafty! How are you? I miss you!