About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Iguazu Falls, Argentina

We will now fly from Buenos Aires to Iguazu, Argentina. The national park of Iguazu Falls is located in the province of Misiones, in the northeastern part of Argentina, next to Brazil and Paraguay. When we got off the plane the heat and humidity immediately made you feel like you were stuck inside a wet blanket. So, I was happy.

As I did with Buenos Aires, I will start with the countryside and then do a separate post about the people we met there. If you want to know more about Iguazu Falls, you can read about them at Wikipedia, or your reference source of choice. They are so amazing because they are spread out and allow for lots of multiple, up-close views. They are much, much larger than Niagra Falls, incidentally. This is one of the first views of the first section. There is also a path on top of these falls that take you to its mouth, or "La boca del diablo." Here's what part of that looks like:
And here's a video, which captures the experience a little better:

The other section is equally awe-inspiring and gorgeous.Here I am with our fearless leaders, Jen and Steph. A volunteer firefighter from Missouri took the picture for us.After checking out the lower sections, we took a little boat to an island where we had lunch and cooled off a little bit. We then hiked up a long flight of stairs to get even more views from different angles before heading back to the main land and hiking the upper portion.In addition to the beautiful scenery, we got a glimpse of some fun fauna native to the area. We'll start with the bird, for my mom.There were also these guys, coatís, that are in the lemur family.

This little guy wanted me to share my lunch with him.

We also saw lots of funny little rodents of some sort, and a HUGE spider that was possibly deadly, according to some man standing near us. In the park also live jaguars and ocelots, though we obviously didn't see any.This is a beautiful park and totally do-able in a day. Lots of people do it one day and then the Brazilian side the next. Americans, however, need a $100 visa to get into Brazil, though I hear that you can possibly get out of it here, if you want to try to risk it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, can't wait to see the video at home (am unable to see it on my work computer). Thanks for thinking of me when taking bird pictures.

Mama

dmarks said...

Love the Coati too.

Stephanie said...

Your adventures look fabulous! I am jealous and hopeful that I will get to see more of the world too. Thank you for all the sweet comments that you leave on my blog, they brighten my day.