About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

More gifts to showcase

I was thinking I was almost done with the Christmas showcase (considering it's the end of February, I'd say it's about time). I am still waiting on Meridith to give me a picture of her in her swing jacket, but I haven't posted Julian's presents yet either.

I started a sweater for him this past summer, using his favorite shade of blue. I knit the Sherwood pattern from Knitty.com. The only modification I made was to do ribbed sleeves, rather than continue the cable pattern there, too. I ran out of yarn and so it sat around for a while until I ordered more. (This is where the "haha I never have to use math again" victory dance on graduation has come back to bite me in the butt). When I washed it, the yarn got really soft and the sweater got wider as the ribs expanded. This also stretched out the neck too much, so I had to sew it together at the ends to avoid the flashdance look, which just doesn't work with a 7 year old boy. All in all, I like the pattern and how it turned out. I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the yarn got, as the itchy factor was a concern. It was Nashua Creative Focus Superwash wool, by the way. Of course, with Mr. Julian there is no way I'm going to get a still shot of him in the sweater.The sweater doubles as a floor mop. It's very versatile like that.Vanessa, I'm too busy playing with the cats to pose for your silly pictures.Aha! Got one when he wasn't looking :)

I also made a present for Julian for Christmas. As he is deep into the pirate obsession phase, I knew who I would be knitting it for when I saw the We Call Them Pirates hat pattern on Ravelry. This is a super fun hat to make and not nearly as hard as it looks.A close up of the skull and crossbones.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap! I totally took a picture in the jacket, but never sent it! Sorry, I'll try to remember when I get home tonight!
Meridith

Unknown said...

You are really impressive! Geesh! Nice work!

Mariss said...

Good grief--you've made some great things! What a lucky guy he is, and adorable too. Love the skull and crossbone hat. I'm sure his friends will be quite jealous.

P.S. And now I'm remembering that yes, you do knit sweaters--and very well ;)

dmarks said...

At last, I find a Winonan blog that is alive. I don't knit, but I do have a cat.

dmarks said...

And Christmas? You are not late. You are merely early for Christmas 2008.

Gaby said...

Vanessa, habia visto el pulover en tus projects de Ravelry; está precioso! Todavia no se si tejerle algo asi a mis hijos. Ellos tambien estan en su fase pirata, y este gorro sería una buena opción ;)

Muy bonitos tus tejidos!

lanas y tramas said...

Espectacular!!! Es double knitting?

Amelia and Stephen said...

looooooove Julian's hat! What a cutie he is in it!I'm so impressed by the skill and creativity in your knitting...love, Am