About Me

My photo
We are Familia FIG. We are a bi- lingual, blended family. Belalu was diagnosed at 9 months with hypochondroplasia.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

CRAFT IN AMERICA

Before leaving home, I got a chance to see the premier of PBS's 3-part series Craft in America. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. First of all, with only three parts, it necessarily lacked a lot of crafts and artists, and made me wish this was a continuous tv series. I was also peeved that not a single New England artist was represented. But I was really moved by what I saw. It made me want to got out there and support local artisans and also explore more in depth the arts and crafts movement in America and learn more about its origins and history. It also made me want to take up weaving, spinning, basket making, quilting and pottery. Like, now. Like, sign up for every community education class they offer related to crafts. The craft bug even bit Juan- he's started talking about taking up carpentry when we get the space to do it.

Well, the website has even more video footage and craft and artist info. It also has virtual exhibitions and lots of other resources. So, check it out. We can be so concerned with getting "exotic" local crafts when we travel abroad, we may forget that different regions in America have their own rich artistic traditions.

2 comments:

lomester said...

Ooooh! I need to watch!

Lisa said...

I had to take ceramics, weaving, sculpture, fiber arts, etc for my degree. I really enjoyed working with paper-making. The ceramics was hand building, but just last year I learned to throw on the wheel. It is great fun! You should take some classes when you have time.

Lisa